London on a shoestring
There are loads of sites with deals and discounts on everything from meals out and your weekly shop to insurance, holidays and household goods, to help you cut the cost of living and working in London. Here are just a few to get you on the road to saving money.
- As an NHS employee you’ll find Health Service Discounts a good source of cost-cutting deals on a wide range of goods and services.
- OpenTable has half-price and discounted offers on restaurant bookings. It even gives you points for booking, which can earn you free meals.
- Tastecard is a popular money-saving members club. Sign up and you can get 2-for-1 and 50% off deals on high-street restaurants across the capital and the rest of the UK.
- Groupon offers discounts of up to 90% in London on everything from restaurants and events to health treatments, clothes and even furniture.
- Gumtree and Craigslist are community-run sites where Londoners sell and trade large household items such as furniture and electronics. They also have flatshare and services listings. But beware of fraudsters and do not hand over any money without receiving the goods or services and use a refundable form of payment such as Paypal if possible.
- Travel Zoo specialises in cut-price breaks and holidays at home and abroad, plus cheap flights, deals on shows and events and discounts on travel by road and rail.