Filling out your application
All applications are made through NHS Jobs using its online form. This ensures they are all in the same format and assessed fairly.
We do not accept CVs for the majority of vacancies, so it is vital that you fill in the online form correctly: it is the only document we have to help us decide whether or not to invite you to interview.
Online application guidelines
- Take time to read all the information in the vacancy advert: pay particular attention to the job description and the person specification. The description outlines the main duties and responsibilities; the specification details the qualifications, skills and knowledge required.
- Find out more: if you have any questions about the role that are not answered by the job description, please get in touch with the named contact in the vacancy advert for an informal discussion. You can also find more information about the different roles in the NHS and what they involve on the NHS Careers website.
- Prove you can meet all or most of the essential criteria for the role: your application should show how you meet each of the criteria listed as essential for the role. If you do not explicitly state how your skills match the job description and person specification, or you are unable to meet the criteria, we are unlikely to shortlist you for an interview.
- Give us all the information we need: ensure you complete all parts of your application honestly, accurately and thoroughly, particularly the supporting statement.
- Tailor your application to the role: don’t just add your CV to the supporting statement section. You can use this area to really ‘sell’ yourself and your skills.
- Make sure your personal information is up to date: we use the information you give us on your application to decide whether or not to invite you for interview. In particular, make sure your email and phone number are up to date so we can contact you.
- Read through the form for any errors or omissions before you send it: you cannot make any changes once you have submitted your application. But to make things easier, NHS Jobs allows you to save your form at any time without submitting it. We will be able to view your application form only once you have clicked on ‘submit’.
- Check the closing date of the vacancy: you cannot submit your application after this date. In some cases, we may close the vacancy earlier depending on the number of applications we receive, so please submit your form as early as possible.
- Don’t forget to check your NHS Jobs’ account: check your emails and NHS Jobs’ account regularly throughout the recruitment process in case we need to contact you. Do not delete the job from your NHS Jobs’ account, because you will not be able to receive any messages we send you.